Community Health Needs Assessment (CHNA)
A Community Health Needs Assessment is a systematic approach to the collection and analysis of health data. The data is used to identify and describe outstanding community health needs, inequalities in health and to determine priorities for effectively using resources to address the identified needs. In order to be responsive to local health needs and to assist local health organizations in developing comprehensive and affordable healthcare services in Flathead County, North Valley Hospital, Kalispell Regional Healthcare, the Flathead City-County Health Department, and the Flathead Community Health Center partner together to complete a CHNA every three years. The CHNA results are prioritized into a three year Community Health Improvement Plan (CHIP). For more information on the CHIP, please visit the Community Plans page.
Early Childhood Data
Flathead County received funding from Headwaters Foundation starting in Fall 2018 to work on a Zero to Five Strategic Initiaitve. For Flathead County data on early childhood, see the snapshot report here.
County Health Rankings
Annual health rankings compare counties within states and to national high performers. This Robert Wood Johnson supported project updates rankings annually. Data includes health outcomes, quality of life, health behaviors, clinical care metrics, and social/economic factors. See Flathead County’s 2019 Health Ranking here.
Mapping the Social Determinants of Health in Flathead County
Community, economic, and environmental factors shape our health to a greater extent than personal choices do. These factors include education, housing, transportation, poverty, and many more. By addressing these root causes of health, we can create a community where everyone has opportunities for health. For more information check out the Healthy People 2020’s goals for improving the social determinants of health here.
- Household Income for all and for kids
- Poverty for all and for kids
- Education: percent of the population with a bachelor’s degree or higher
- Percent of the population with a disability
- Households receiving food stamps/SNAP
- Walkability: Percent of the population who walks to work
- Health insurance
- Medicaid coverage in small towns and rural areas for adults and children
- Overdose death rate for all drugs and opioids
- Veterans suicide rates
- Area Deprivation Index- The Atlas Project
- Rental Costs by Census Block
County Level Data for Montana
- Montana’s Medicaid Expansion Data (statewide and by county)
- Birth Data
- Mortality Data
- Population Data
- Community Snapshot Reports
- Social Indicators
- County Health Rankings – Flathead County